Thursday 1 March 2012

Frustration and answers!

Well to be completely honest my last race was a bit of a flop.  I started feeling a bit run down and sick just before the Christchurch round of nationals.  I was starting to feel a bit better by the Mt Vic race but then after that things went downhill pretty quick.  As well as feeling exhausted every day (sleeping 12+hrs), I was feeling nauseous and dizzy.  Any serious training was a no go but I decided to have a go at the race anyway.

On practice day I knew I was in serious trouble.  I had zero power and strength and felt like I was going backwards on the climb.  However, I hate pulling out of a races, I knew I was fit and I loved the course so I had a go.  Right from the start I was dropped off the back and was happy just to pedal around at my own pace.  I was well off the pace I knew I could do but I finished with consistent lap times and 2nd in my grade leaving me 1st overall for the series. 

Thanks to Dominic Furkert for the pic!


It was time to find some answers!  This time I wasn't going to let the doctors fob me off and tell me to rest and eat well.  I took a full week off training and have had 2 doctors visits.  The doctors thinks I have post-viral fatigue with labyrinthitis- a inner ear disorder leading to dizziness and nausea.  There is no real treatment other than time but I can treat some of the symptoms.  At least I have something to go on now. 

This weekend is Karapoti.  I am already entered and think I will be ok just to pedal around at an average pace.  I am fit enough but don't have any power or speed so it won't be my best time but it's a must do for me each season and the doc thinks it will be ok as long as I don't push too hard (Has he heard of karapoti?)  Looking forward to the 'weather bomb' due to hit and make it even more epic than normal!

After that I'm going to finish my season early and take some time off to get better. 




No comments:

Post a Comment